Research by: Dr Yasser Falah, Consultant Neurologist, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
All of our attendees carry out a piece of research in an area of MS clinical practice or treatment that interests them.
This snapshot gives you a quick idea of what they found and why. If you want to learn more, just click through to the full poster, or follow the links within the snapshot.
If you would like to contact the alumni who did the research, drop us a line and we’ll put you in touch where possible.
To create a service development plan for the University Hospitals of Leicester’s MS service (UHL)
- The service has 1,870 registered MS patients, but has been without a consultant for some time
- In September, it linked with the Nottingham centre to provide a weekly visit from a neighbouring consultant
A review of the service found a number of challenges to the successful implementation of the new service model. These included:
- Large cohort
- Long waiting list
- Duplicate appointments
The author recommended a seven-point action plan:
- Review database
- Review clinic structure
- Establish regional MDT link
- Establish Tysabri monitoring protocol
- Establish scan reports communication protocol
- Review timing of appointments
- Establish patient/HCP communication protocol
The outcomes include higher patient and registrar satisfaction, fewer complaints, and the faster delivery of high-efficacy disease modifying therapies (DMTs).
View the poster or contact Yasser to discuss the work (please put the name of the Snapshot as your title in our contact form)