Research by: Bhawani Devi Mainali, MS Nurse Specialist, Royal Free NHS Foundation Trust
All of our attendees carry out a piece of research in an area of MS clinical practice or treatment that interests them.
This snapshot gives you a quick idea of what they found and why. If you want to learn more, just click through to the full poster, or follow the links within the snapshot.
If you would like to contact the alumni who did the research, drop us a line and we’ll put you in touch where possible.
To provide people with progressive MS with a local forum where they can access specialist advice and peer support
The team launched a monthly coffee morning to support people with progressive MS to self-manage their condition in February 2019.
The events provide people with the opportunity to discuss issues with each other, experts, and guest speakers. They also offer people an opportunity to develop a sense of belonging and shared understanding.
The first event attracted 15 people. Since then, 400 people with MS, 300 of whom have progressive disease, have attended the monthly coffee mornings. Forty people attend regularly.
- The coffee mornings proved so popular that the team had to move to a larger venue
- The number of calls to MS nurses has reduced
The poster recommends the team:
- Continue to provide the events
- Expand access to people with relapsing-remitting MS
- Include additional activities such as Pilates and yoga
- Share their findings with MS teams considering taking a similar approach
View the poster or contact Bhawani to discuss the work (please put the name of the Snapshot as your title in our contact form)